Barley is one of the best grains for weight loss due to its toxin binding and cholesterol lowering properties. Medical research shows that barley can regulate blood sugar for up to ten hours after consumption.
Barley can be found in three different forms: hulled, flattened and pearled. Hulled barley has only the outer hull removed and retains more of its nutritional value, shape, and chewy texture. Flattened barley or barley flakes are quick to cook and can be substitute for oatmeal in common breakfast dishes. Pearled barley is more processed and less nutritious.
Barley Soup with Asparagus & Mushrooms
- Wash the barley and soak it in plenty of cold water overnight. Rinse and discard the water.
- Drain, rinse, and put the barley in a pot with water. Bring to a boil, remove foam from the top of the liquid. Reduce the heat. Add the bay leaves and turmeric to the pot. Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and potatoes. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat melt ghee. Add onions. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots. Stir for couple of minutes.
- Transfer the carrots and onions from the skillet to the pot. Add the mushrooms to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 2 minutes longer.
- Add the parsley and remove from heat.
Learn More Ayurveda
Interested in taking your life to the next level? Want to lead a life bountiful with rich relationships, constant success, and soul-satisfying passion? Ayurveda provides the means to manifest the greatest, happiest, and healthiest YOU!
At Sadhana we have multiple options to dive deeper into Ayurveda. We’d love to assist you through the path of empowerment!
- Sadhana’s 200hr Ayurveda and Healing Training: Enjoy 10 months of magical living exploring and internalizing time-tested practices to bring health and vibrancy to yourself, your family, and your friends.
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching: What you eat and how you live provide you with the fuel to keep motivated, strong, enthusiastic, passionate, and positive. Regardless of your age, physical condition, or occupation, Sadhana’s Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching will get you healthier, happier, and more successful than ever.
- Sadhana’s 200hr Yoga Teacher Training with Emphasis on Ayurveda: Are you a yoga practitioner wanting to deepen your practice or share your passion as an instructor? Our 200hr Yoga Teacher Training merges the sister sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. Empower through individual attention, personalized sequencing, and full body-mind-spirit expansion!